Pages

I walk on a road lush with dreams,
a road of forgotten and veiled dreams,
sometimes slowly, sometimes gaily,
sometimes lost, sometimes profound,
I walk a road of unknown mysteries,
fervently finding my way through the endless path.....

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Favourite Fantastico thriller books

Thrillers have always been my most favourite genre.
No doubt a well written thriller can chill you down the nerves, giving you sleepless nights and horrible nightmares but that itself acts as a potent stimulator for thriller lovers like me. 
However, nothing can be a bigger turn off than a badly written book in the name of a thriller and since I too had my shares of disappointments, I now make sure that I literally read tons of reviews before buying a book under the genre of thriller or horror. 
Yes, I am not this cautious even when buying makeup products:P

I have thinking of writing a post based on thrillers for a long time but I was just adding on to my library and knowledge before plunging in to give expert sort of advice. 
Although I am no expert as of now too but can proudly say that I have read almost all of those hugely popular ones in the genre and of others I have done a detailed research and read long reviews. 

With the assurance that my list may not include ALL the great pieces of thrilling stories( no list is perfect) but you will not regret picking up any of those that I am gonna mention here. 

So, hold your breath and get ready for sleepless nights and paranoid attacks as I raise the curtain for some 'fantastico thrillers' of all times.

1)Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier - 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again'
Rebecca is one of the greatest romantic thrillers of all times. This book, its narrative, its story line and the never ending twists had haunted me for a long time after I finished reading this book. 

There have been many adaptations of the book but in my opinion none could do justice to the book. This book has never gone out of print and rightly so.
All thriller lovers must and I repeat it, must read this one! 

2)The Silence of the lambs by Thomas Harris

Source - www.sarahmalikdelhi.blogspot.com

 This book is creepy, my God!
Dr. Hannibal Lecter is one of the most insightful and unforgettable characters of all times.
The silence of the lambs is a thriller cum horror in a true sense and leaves you quite disturbed in the end. 
The movie adaptation is marvellous too especially Anthony Hopkins as Dr.Hannibal Lecter. 

3)The Girl with the dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Source - www.sarahmalikdelhi.blogspot.com

I Admit, I did not like the book at first but when the story picked up pace after 40 odd pages it became unputdownable really! 
The narration is what makes up the book so likeable. 
I haven't read the other two books of the trilogy since the reviews didn't appear as promising. 

4)Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn- A lot of people found this book just about average but I do consider it one of the most amazing and differently written thrillers of 
all times. 
Story line revolves around the disappearance of a character called Amy and whether Nick, Amy's husband is involved in the disappearance of his wife or not. 
Book's ending left me feeling extremely angry and helpless for Nick. 
I have also seen the movie adaptation and did not like it much. I feel they have rushed through a lot of scenes.

I think that's pretty much the list. I have read dozens of thrillers but only these four could be a part of my 'fantastico list'. 

Do let me know your favourites. I would truly appreciate your recommendations. 

Happy reading! 

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

1 comment: