Pages

I walk on a road lush with dreams,
a road of forgotten and veiled dreams,
sometimes slowly, sometimes gaily,
sometimes lost, sometimes profound,
I walk a road of unknown mysteries,
fervently finding my way through the endless path.....

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The 'alternate' doctor!

We humans are functionally and fundamentally a complex combination of tendencies, instincts and inclinations. A very marked one, out of these, is to be a 'priority'. To never be an option or an alternative. Athough we are quick to chalk out our own choices and priorities, no one wants to be listed as secondary in someone else's list of importants.

The irony of today's time however is that we live in a world of ever increasing alternatives. Whatever displeases our sense of perfection even by Nano-inch is automatically replaced by something new. Which is why being an alternative is getting even more scarier in this extremely competitive and perfection demanding era of today. 

Having said all that, here I stand, a doctor pursuing an 'alternative' system of medicine. Yes, this very word alternative would make a majority of the world either pay no attention to it or neglect it ever so brutally. Many of you might question, why have an alternative system after all when the mainstream system of medicine is flourishing. Backed up by the greatest pharmaceutical giants it is now no more an orthodox system of medicine. The doctors of allopathic system are met with this dignity and respect, no matter what actually goes beneath the teachings of the coveted white aprons.

Oh no! Before you get me wrong or pity me or presume this to be one of those 'whining with a glass of wine' post, let me tell you then I plan not dirt slinging but of whining, well, I'm not very certain.

So anyways, having completed my BHMS this month (for those of you who don't know, BHMS stands for Bachelor of homoeopathic medicine and surgery) it scares me an awful lot to be labelled and reckoned as an alternate, a second choice or maybe the last of all. 

No matter the effort I have put in, the knowledge I acquired, the compassion in my bosom to treat and cure, the will to heal are suffering humanity-I will, most probably be unable to prescribe off this ailment of being labelled as secondary.

For many of you reading this, it may not seem to be a big deal but if you think of it all in terms of your health it might ring a bell somewhere near you. If you as a patient, come to visit the doctor with a biased mind, of him being an alternate how can there ever develop a primary doctor-patient relationship? How do you expect me, the doctor, to give you my best when I am just a secondary substitute?

How wise is it to label a doctor as a substitute or an alternate just because he practices a pathy that is an alternate system of medicine in the country? Haven't we, because of our ignorance, misinterpreted and mis-designated the doctors of today? The reason why the word alternate was attached to different systems of medicine was because they moved parallely with the modern system and in many cases worked much better than allopathy. Their principles and foundations being much stronger and older than the modern system. But as it happens in all civilisations, people judge rather misjudge the reasons and formulate new ones, the alternate system stooped down to the level of being a last resort and the doctors being called as quacks.

We, the doctors of alternate pathy may not be able to fight with the moneymaking pharmaceutical companies out there or with those who leave no stone unturned to prove us to be nothing more than a placebo. But we surely have hope. And our hope is our patients. The faith of our patients is what has kept our pathy consistently rising above all hurdles and proving that we can do miracles. 

I have no qualms in being labelled as an alternate if I am a priority for my patients. If they consider me something more, something above and beyond the last and final resort/try and error method. I sincerely wish that come soon the day we, the homoeopaths are able to prove what a wonder our pathy is. Giving homeopathy the place it truly deserves. 

Signing off, me, the alternate doctor trying my best to reach and help you with this extraordinary pathy! 



14 comments:

  1. Along with Homeopathy, I think you could also learn Ayurveda, Siddha, and Naturopathy medicine systems. There are many who want to move out of the Allopathy system, and we don't find trustable/capable alternatives. There is so much exposure nowadays on how the modern medical system works and people are becoming wary. I think alternative medicine has a great future, especially if handled well. All the best :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People r not moving out coz they arnt well informed and do not realize the benefits of homeopathy.

      Delete
  2. I think people are opting for such alternate ways to cure themselves. Also, why bother, do what you feel like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people r opting but there is a long way ahead i feel. Also, I am not bothered saru.. Its jus tht people should know about it.

      Delete
  3. This is powerful. You said it truly that people often prefer allopathy over homeopathy. However, times are changing, and so are the preferences. People are open to wide variety of treatments all over the country. Good luck with your medical career Doc :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. As i stated in the previous comment that people are becoming aware but there still is a long way to go. Thank u Amrit :D

      Delete
  4. It's interesting the thoughts that you have shared, and hopefully more awareness will lead to a more general acceptance of this important field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that thought. I wil keep trying my best to create awareness :) thnks for reading

      Delete
  5. First of all congrats Dr. Sarah! Frankly I always prefer homeopathy over allopathy. The biggest reason being the side effects that the allopathy meds come with. And people who think homeopathy is slow and only for kids havent tried the right homeopathy meds for their ailments. Love your article and i totally resonate with your thoughts here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much vaisakhi :) I hope others too realize this fact like you, we can see homeopathy flourishing even more.

      Delete
  6. Dr Sarah, congrats. I swear by homeopathy and in some cases Ayurvedic medicines too. Have you started practicing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u maam! Yes i have started practicing as an intern in the govt. hospital attached with my college.

      Delete